Thursday, May 21, 2009

Nothing to see here...


My apologies on the lack of a real post this week. It's been a bit of a hectic few days - I spent last weekend in Bethany Beach, Delaware ("I want to visit a screen door factory!") with my college roommates and then got roped into a last minute business trip to Boston. So I decided to surprise my parents and am now in good old Maynard for a few days. And while I'm sure I'll come up with something more substantive to write, I wanted to take a minute for a few updates/thoughts/ramblings:
  • Jason and I are hosting our next Reel Tasty Brooklyn dinner and a movie on Saturday, May 30th. The movie will be an all-time classic: Rear Window. Jimmy Stewart. Grace Kelly. Grilled shrimp with chorizo butter. Should be another great evening. Menu, details, and more can be found here (please note that the site is loading VERY slowly...please be patient, it'll be worth it).

  • If you want to try more of Jason's cooking, he'll be competing this Saturday in The Risotto Challenge at Jimmy's No. 43 in NYC. As a great half-Sicilian, half-Roman cook, how can he not come up with something amazing?

  • A sign that my Colgate girls and I are officially old: our weekends together have transitioned from bar hopping, dancing and talking about guys to card games, jigsaw puzzles (in our defense, there was a hurricane rolling through, nothing was open and we were trapped in the house), and talking about health care, medical issues...and guys (mostly our husbands/boyfriends).

  • If you love brownies or just like to bake, do yourself a favor and buy The Brownie Lover's Bible. Not only are there delicious brownie recipes, Lisa (a fellow CulinaryCorps volunteer) has also included other brownie-related recipes that are incredible. The caramel/butterscotch recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. I made a double-batch of salted caramel that has been enjoyed with brownies, over ice cream and mixed with cream cheese and confectioner's sugar for an unbelievable frosting.

  • While I was devastated by the two Boston game 7 losses (although, honestly, I don't think the C's could have beat the Cleveland LeBrons in the Eastern finals), I am enjoying the playoffs without any vested interest except hoping for a Lakers loss.

Now I promise a real post and some new recipes soon. In the meantime, have a great long weekend!

No comments: