Epic.
That's the best word I can come up with to describe the lunch I had a Momofuku Ko last week. Twenty-two courses in three and a half hours.
While randomly checking the Ko reservation system, I saw the elusive green check mark and grabbed it, before realizing that it was on Friday and Eric was in Florida. So I dragged my friend Jason to join me in this experience. Little did we realize what we were in for (despite Eric and I eating there for dinner once before).
So here we go...from start to finish:
- Fried prawn head
- Pommes soufflé with caviar
- Veal tongue with a romaine cream and pickled cucumber
- Oyster with caviar and lime
- Kampachi with flaked sea salt and daikon radish
- Long Island fluke with an aged chili paste, soy ginger shallots and blood orange
- Sweet Maine shrimp with avocado and seeds from a cypress broom tree
- Nantucket scallops marinated in meyer lemon with freeze dried soy sauce, watermelon radish, shiso and meyer lemon zest
- Sea urchin with yuba (soymilk skin) and puffed black rice
- Stewed octopus, fried buckwheat cake, sea beans, meyer lemon and paprika aioli
- Puffed egg with a Benton's bacon broth, Tennessee winter truffles, hazlenut oil and chives
- Braised snails, brussel sprouts, Fuji apple, chestnut dumplings and sage sour cream
- Bagel with bacon cream cheese
- Diver scallop with razor clams, smoked grapes, lily bulbs, green tea broth and black onion seeds
- Pork risotto with black Tuscan kale, maitake mushrooms, guanciale (pork jowl), pickled mustard seed and an incredibly rich pork jus
- Frozen shaved fois gras with lychee, riesling gelee and pine nut brittle
- Sweetbreads on an almond butter, terrine of confit potatoes and black trumpet mushrooms
- Sous vide lamb chop with sheep's milk ricotta and a roasted onion stuffed with braised lamb ribs, ras-el-hanout and breadcrumbs
- Raw sheep's milk cheese and Humbolt Fog goat cheese with smoked grapefruit, red onion marmalade, and pork fat brioche
- Apple cider sorbet with ginger graham cracker ganache and toasted marshmallow
- Parsnip ice cream with chocolate fudge, hazelnut nougat and grapefruit threads
All in all, an amazing meal. It was such a production that by the time we were savoring the sweetbreads, we were already reminiscing about the fluke.
At the end, the chef de cuisine came by with a jar of housemade pickled vegetables as a "Congratulations for making it through" takeaway.
And to top off an already great day, I saw Joe Ades' daughter in Union Square while walking to the subway. She's taken up her father's spot selling vegetable peelers. So I finally bought one.
1 comment:
Tennessee winter truffles?!?
How did I spend four years in that state and never hear of this?
I feel so cheated; so used! How is this not in the informational guide for the Volunteer State's land grant institution?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/dining/28truf.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1
Post a Comment