Sunday, February 22, 2009

The 6th Annual V-day Chilifest!

Once again, we celebrated the high holy day of Chilifest! This year, as the tradition originated, Chilifest was actually on Valentine’s Day (on President’s Day weekend). And although many people couldn’t make it because they wanted to spend time with their special someone, we still managed to hold about 35 people in our apartment (including our friends who flew in from Chicago for the event!).

Photo by Kun Kim

And what an event it was. Seven different chilis, a braised barbecued brisket, and a chili-lasagna (made by my Italian friend who didn’t know what was in chili). This year, we bypassed any attempt at healthiness and skipped the salad (because, on Chilifest – as Homer Simpson says – “you don’t make friends with salad”).

As always, I made everything but chili. That’s Eric’s specialty…I attempted to make chili about a month ago and it came out horribly – flavorless and bland…and this year, his was especially tasty.

But fear not, despite my lack of chili-making prowess, I still made some appetizers, sides and desserts. Every year for Chilifest, I make the old standbys: guacamole, pigs in a blanket (inevitably, these are the first things to go at every party, regardless of what else I serve), mac and cheese, plain cornbread, my bacon-jalapeno-scallion-cheese cornbread, Oreo cookie cookies, Rice Krispy treats, and cupcakes.

I was so proud of piping the frosting on these cupcakes...it wasn't until after people arrived that I realized that the chocolate ones looked like dog turds. Photo by Kun Kim

New additions to Chilifest were the chocolate salted caramels, bacon-wrapped chorizo-stuffed dates (I’ve made these before and wasn’t planning on it for this party but my pregnant friend requested them…and I can’t say no to a pregnant friend about food), mozzarella-stuffed prosciutto-wrapped peppadew peppers and bacon-peanut candy. And yes, for those counting, that’s four pork dishes. You may be thinking “Don’t you mean five since you also had pigs in a blanket?” – a completely rational thing to say. However, I make my pigs with the beef L’il Smokies...and resisted the overwhelming urge to put bacon in the mac and cheese.

Bacon and peanut candy. Like most of the stuff that I make, this is not an original idea; Eric and I had this at The Redhead in the East Village. It was delicious...but it needed more bacon. Which I happily obliged when I made it at home.

But back to the main event. Thanks to our friends, we feasted on:
  • Eric's beef, ground pork and sausage chili
  • Aliya's pulled pork and tequila chili
  • Jason's pork tongue, pork loin and other various pork parts chili
  • Brent's lamb and white bean "chili"
  • Mike's vegetarian chili
  • Russell's "my wife doesn't eat red meat" turkey chili (although she did have a few pigs in a blanket...because no one can resist those!)
  • Ross's Good Eats AB chili
  • Anthony's chili-lasagna creation
  • Sarah's braised barbecue brisket
  • Leanna's gorgeous cheese platter with the most amazing blue cheese that I still dream about

I'm still full! We're already looking forward to the 7th Annual Chilifest in 2010.

P.S. I am so frakkin’ excited for Watchmen to come out! I just finished the book (or should I say “graphic novel”) and all I can say is wow…seriously…wow.

P.S.S. Thanks to neighbor Ross, I’ve also gotten into Battlestar Galactica. Just in time for the final four episodes.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so delicious that I'm a tiny bit glad we didn't make it this year....gestational diabetes is making me very bitter about food I can't eat. BUT I am already fantasizing about what I'm going to eat after the baby is born....SO going to be at Chilifest next year!!!