Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Things I'm currently obsessed with


Dr. Horrible
Joss Whedon’s new online musical, Dr. Horrible, is phenomenal in so many ways: NPH. Nathan Fillion’s gloves. Enamored groupies. Thoroughbred of Sin. Moist. Seriously, if you haven’t seen this yet, do yourself a favor and spend 45 minutes watching this. It’s worth it simply to see Neil Patrick Harris singing – although at this point, I think that I would watch NPH read the dictionary. Truthfully, I wasn’t a big Doogie fan growing up (I think I may have been a few years too old for it – a bit of an absurd statement coming from me; but Doogie was in the same group as New Kids on the Block…if I had been 2-3 years younger, I would have been a fanatic), but absolutely loved him in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle (funny side note: the director originally wanted Fred Savage for that role, but he turned it down, so the director went to NPH – a role that truly relaunched his career…case in point, How I Met Your Mother…a funny show but one in which NPH clearly steals the spotlight).

So watch Dr. Horrible. And then watch it again. And again. There are so many fantastic little moments that you won’t catch upon first viewing. And then you’ll catch yourself singing the songs to yourself. Or maybe that’s just me.

Vampires
I guess this doesn’t really qualify as a “current” obsession since I’ve pretty much been obsessed with vampires ever since I was six-years old and first saw them on Scooby-Doo (I'm sure that this explains a lot about me...from Bram Stoker’s book Dracula to Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer to every B-rated horror movie, in my life, all roads lead back to Scooby). However, I’m in the process of reading the Stephanie Meyer Twilight series (yes, I realize that these are written for 12-year old girls but since I still watch - nay, DVR - Scooby, is it really that much of a surprise that I’ve been plowing my way through these books the same way I flew through the Sweet Valley High series when I was in 5th grade) and cannot get enough of HBO’s new series, True Blood. I may have to start reading the Charlaine Harris vampire series after I finish with Twilight. Or maybe that would just start freaking my friends out more than they already are.

British Candy
My co-worker/friend who sits next to me at work introduced me to the Cadbury Flake bar. While tasty (light and airy), I really dislike milk chocolate. However, I came across the Dark Chocolate Flake bar and was smitten. It’s not the best quality chocolate I’ve ever eaten, but there’s something about the crumbliness of the chocolate that makes it so tasty. I’ve also fallen in love with Refreshers. Think Smarties crossed with Alka-Seltzer. But bigger and tangier.


Lately, for some inexplicable reason, I’m fixated on finding After Eight dinner mints. Now, I don’t think that I’ve eaten one of those since I was eight years old at my grandparents apartment. However, I’ve been canvassing the city’s supermarkets, drug stores, gourmet shops and bodegas in search of these elusive mints. But to no avail. I realize that once I do finally find them, they probably won’t taste nearly as good as I have built them up in my memory to being. But, regardless, if anyone sees them, pick me up a box. I’ll pay you back. Promise!

Mastiffs
While pugs are still and will always remain my favorite dogs, I’ve recently become enamored with mastiffs and pitbulls. It’s probably because they look like giant pugs. One day, when we live on a farm, we will own six dogs, twelve cats and chickens. And all of the dogs will wear bandanas around their necks. As I always say to Eric, if I was in power, I’d make it a law that all dogs have to wear banadas. Dogs are at least 37% cuter when they obey my future law, even "stupid kick dogs" (Eric’s name for the dinky little dogs that so many people in NYC seem to have).

Roasted beets
Eric hates them. I can’t get enough of them. I didn’t always feel that way. Growing up, the only beets I ever ate were the canned sliced beets that would disintegrate in your mouth (mushy beets…that’s up there with mayonnaise for me). I think I was 24 years old when I had my first fresh beet – in a salad with walnuts and blue cheese (something that has become as ubiquitous as Caesar salad on restaurant menus). But I never wanted to cook them at home – peeling them was such a time-consuming and clothes-staining task. But now, roasted beets have changed my world: they’re foolproof, filling and perfectly in season right now.


World's Easiest Roasted Beets

  1. Wash and trim beets (but do not peel)
  2. Wrap in foil with a healthy drizzle of olive oil, some sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  3. Roast at 400 degrees for about an hour (depending on the size of the beets - some larger beets may require more time; just open foil and poke with a paring knife - knife should pierce through beet without resistance; if not, rewrap and keep cooking)
  4. Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes (or until you can hold comfortably)
  5. Using paper towels, rub beets and the skin will peel away
  6. Cut into wedges and enjoy drizzled with walnut oil and crumbled cheese (the picture below was with goat cheese but blue cheese - although overdone - always works, too). Unless you’re Eric at which point you choke a few down and then put the rest in your napkin.

No comments: