Well, I’m officially re-enrolled in school. I had my first night of Level 6 this past Tuesday and I have to say, it felt great to be back. My legs were pretty tired as I am definitely not used to standing up for five and a half hours straight. But that is a small price to pay to be back in the kitchen.
Last August (aka, pre-diagnosis), I was pretty exhausted – all school and all work makes Aimee something something…oh that’s right, burn out – at least after eight months of that schedule. However, the seven month hiatus was just what I needed to feel reinvigorated in the kitchen – it’s the same feeling I had when I started working almost-full time again.
I now appreciate how luxurious it is cooking in a kitchen with access to so many ingredients, supplies and potwashers. My first station was garde manger (salads and appetizers) and most of the prep was already done, so my partner and I worked on a special: a duo of melon soups – honeydew and melon – with crisped prosciutto crisps and mint. While we always have to work on the recipes in the curriculum, in garde manger (assuming we have time) and entremetier (working on the amuse-bouche) we can be a bit more creative in developing special offerings for that night.
Although it would be better in the middle of July or August, this chilled soup was the perfect combination of sweet and savory. As it was it a gorgeous high 60’s out, the duo of soups wasn’t a huge seller (also, when offered next to bay scallop ceviche, asparagus with chorizo vinaigrette and pan con tomate, and salade nicoise with fresh seared tuna, I’m not entirely surprised). However, in the 90 degree kitchen, we couldn’t get enough of it.
Duo of Melon Soups with Crisped Prosciutto
The measurements in this are completely estimates. Everything depends entirely on the ripeness of the fruit. When we made it, both the cantaloupe and the honeydew were not very ripe. So, do what I did in the kitchen and just keep tasting with every addition/puree. The citrus and salt both help in boosting the flavor when the fruit is that underripe. Also, there’s no need to make both soups. It’s just as tasty with one. While the two are beautiful together, honeydew is not my favorite. But I will definitely be making the cantaloupe soup all summer. If you want to get really fancy, you can also make a pretty little dice or tiny scoops of the melon for garnish to add a bit more texture (we added a brunoise of melon).
2 cantaloupe melons
2 honeydew melons
1-3 teaspoons of honey or agave nectar (depending on ripeness of fruit – if using honey, start with a tiny amount – it can quickly overwhelm the melon)
2 lemons
2 limes
2 oranges
2 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin as this will overwhelm the soup as well) or neutral oil
4 thin slices of prosciutto – cut crosswise into ¼ strips
Sprigs of fresh mint or basil
Seed, peel and chunk the melons (this is getting pureed, so it doesn’t need to be perfect) – keeping separate.
In a blender, add cantaloupe, a squirt of honey or agave and the juice from half a lemon, lime and orange, a tablespoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Purée on high and taste. Add more citrus, honey and salt as necessary.
Repeat with honeydew melon.
Heat sauté pan, add a tablespoon of oil and add prosciutto to render fat and crisp – being careful not to burn the meat. Drain on paper towels.
To get the two soups in the bowl, ladle each soup into a separate liquid measuring cup. At the same time, slowly pour the soups – one on each side of the bowl. You may need to move the measuring cups along the bowl to ensure even coverage. The two soups should make a fairly even and distinct line.
Top with prosciutto and garnish with mint or basil sprigs.
Serves 4.
1 comment:
Aimee's back in the kitchen....warm up the pan!
Post a Comment