Friday, February 15, 2008

My nutritionist won't be happy...

When I gain back all of the weight I lost since surgery in September, this is what I will blame:


I realize that I'm supposed to love those homemade or artisanal ice creams or gelatos that are sold in stores that specialize in just that one item. And I do. I'm pretty much always down for a hazelnut gelato.

However, this ice cream...it's not just one of those guilty pleasures like packaged ramen noodles that I know I shouldn't like but for some unexplainable reason do (for the record, I only eat ramen noodles at most, four times a year...of course, this doesn't include the ramen at Momofuku). This is on the short list of completely mind-blowingly delicious things I've tasted (a list that I will post about one day...but I'm too tired to think about it right now...after all, I finally started working again this week...after six months, it's tough getting back on that horse...). It's creamy with thick swirls of caramel, flecks of salt, and pieces of chocolate-covered caramel. It has that little spark of saltiness to offset the sweetness of the caramel and cream while the chocolate adds in great texture and chewiness.

Seriously. Wow. It's beyond ridiculous. It shouldn't be legal. My friend Leanna told me about this a week ago...we're already on our second pint...

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

How was Chilifest?

Unknown said...

I have another thing your Nutritionist will hate. Bacon flavored vodka. Enjoy!

Bacon Vodka

Makes up one pint

Fry up three strips of bacon
Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps.
Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.
Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks.(No need to refrigerate)
At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.
Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.