Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sudden and irrational

It didn’t start this way. I had a beautiful bunch of broccoli rabe and some spicy Italian sausage waiting for me in the refrigerator. But at four o’clock in the afternoon, while sitting at my desk, it hit me: a sudden and irrational craving for tacos. And not the authentic spicy pork tacos from Tehuitzingo. I’m talking old school, Old El Paso tacos. The box with the envelope of seasoning mix and the little packet of “mild taco sauce.” The kind of tacos that I grew up eating at home.

For the next hour and a half, I tried to convince myself that sausage, white beans and broccoli rabe over polenta would hit the spot. But alas, to no avail…the desire for some crunchy tacos could not be ignored. So on my way home from work, I picked up some ground chicken, an avocado and crispy taco shells.

I couldn’t quite get myself to buy the “taco kit”. In full disclosure, I did pick up the Old El Paso box but quickly put it back down when I remembered that whatever I made would be infinitely healthier than whatever “mix” is in that envelope, especially with the addition of black beans to the meat. And I mashed up some avocado with garlic and lime – a garnish that was not included in my childhood taco dinners. Nor was the chipotle sour cream that topped the final product.

In the end, the broccoli rabe could wait...only crunchy tacos would do the trick. Actually, it took three of them. Just like when I was a kid.

I ended up making much more ground turkey and black bean filling than Eric or I could eat, so we invited Ross over who managed to polish off the last five tacos.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Looks beautiful, and I recently met a woman who loves tongue tacos!

I am a friend of Bill who is coming over to talk poetry today, and who told me about your blog last night.

We have all fallen in love with the idea of bacon and chocolate.

Kathleen said...

http://kathleenkirkpoetry.blogspot.com/2011/03/drunken-goat-cheese.html

That's the blog post on drunken goat cheese and bacon and chocolate. Now that I've found your blog, I've added the link to you at the end!!