Wednesday, April 15, 2009

From Apple to Easy

So I’ve traded one “Big” for another. I’ve been in New Orleans for about three hours and have already eaten two meals. I checked into my hotel, changed (as it’s a gorgeous mid-70’s here, unlike the rainy 50’s back in NYC) and went directly to Café du Monde. Touristy, yes. Delicious? Absolutely. I think it's a state law that a stop at this landmark is mandatory when visiting New Orleans.


Just me, the latest Food & Wine, a chicory café au lait (not decaf…so needless to say, I was a bit energetic after that…which wasn’t a bad thing considering the 6:50am flight), and a pile of confectioner’s sugar over beignets. The most relaxing 30 minutes I’ve spent in quite some time.

After a few hours, I decided to trek in the opposite direction to Cochon, home of one of my favorite meals of 2007. When Eric and I ate here that December, we fell in love with this restaurant. Casual, gently-priced, and most importantly, delicious food – namely pork. I was a little worried that the meal would not live up to the memory (after all, sausage-stuffed fried shrimp? Fried chicken livers on pepper toast?)…however, I think today’s lunch may actually be better than that first meal.


Trust me when I say that this picture absolutely does not do the dish justice. Paneed pork cheeks with goat cheese, arugula and a beet rosti. The goat cheese was more like a sauce and was surrounded by the richest pork jus. The cheeks were tender, flavorful and a little caramelized, and went perfectly with the slightly sweet and crispy beet rosti.

As for why I’m in Crescent City in the first place? I’m actually volunteering with CulinaryCorps – a culinary outreach program created to assist communities through food, cooking, education and exchange. Along with twelve other people, we will be focusing on the rebuilding efforts and culinary renaissance of New Orleans, Louisiana and the Mississippi Gulf Coast for the coming week (after all, if Eric can go fishing with his brother and father for a week, I can go cooking for a week). It will be busy and intense, but I can’t wait to get started…tomorrow that is.

Today, however, I’m going to just continue eating my way through this fantastic culinary city.

P.S. A huge, heartfelt THANK YOU to everyone who generously donated to CulinaryCorps! I'll be sure to update the blog with plenty pictures so you can see the good that your dollars are doing for the communities here.

No comments: