Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Cookie conspiracy

Over the past few years, I’ve had to face the fact that I am slowly becoming a crusty old man. I’m turning into one of those “Oh things were so much better back in my day” people. But, I realize that things probably weren't really better then; more likely my tastes have changed and it's just nostalgia making me feel that way.

However, I recently learned that this is not always the case.

One thing we can rely on every year are Girl Scout Cookies. When I was in elementary school, Thin Mints were my first crush. As I got older, I flirted with Trefoils and Do-Si-Dos; but in high school, I eventually fell in love with Samoas. Caramel, chocolate, and toasted coconut. Crunchy, chewy and sweet. A thin slice of heaven in cookie form.

Since then, there’s always been a parent in my office selling Girl Scout cookies every year. And I always order a box of Samoas. A few years ago, I noticed that they changed the name to Caramel deLites. I assumed that someone decided “Samoas” was politically incorrect (not really sure how...but figured someone somewhere was offended). But the Caramel deLites never tasted quite as good as I remembered from sixteen years ago. I attributed this to my taste maturing; like when I was a kid and couldn’t get enough of Fun Dip, but had some a few weeks ago and immediately spit it out.

However, my co-worker John informed me that he, in fact, received a true box of Samoas…not just the lame substitution of Caramel deLites. Evidently, the Girl Scout organization relies on different bakeries for their cookies and one supplier has the rights to the "Samoas" name. So while some people receive Samoas while others receive Caramel deLites, I just thought the cookies were different in name only. Until yesterday.

Photos by my co-worker, Mike McLean

From the box alone, the Samoas have a better quality image and simply look more appealing (the Caramel deLites remind me of the Keebler cookies that I used to eat as a kid). Interestingly, there are more Caramel deLites per box. However, in looking at the actual cookie, the Samoas look much richer with darker chocolate (always a plus in my book) while the Caramel deLites are pale and anemic looking.


Finally, we tasted the two cookies. The Samoas have a prominent toasted coconut flavor that is lacking in the Caramel deLites. It was the taste that I remembered from all those years ago.

And now, I feel so vindicated that things were - at least once - better back in the day. And from now on, I will seek out the true Samoas...never settle! Never compromise!

2 comments:

McLovin said...

How do I get my money back because I checked Samoas not these cheap ass knock-offs. Time to boycott the girl scouts!

Anonymous said...

intriguing comparison and commentary.