Monday, January 14, 2008

So that's what that's for

Like most New Yorkers I know, Eric and I normally go out for dinner or order delivery. When I do cook and when we get food delivered, we typically eat while sitting on the couch. Before the surgery, we were generally too exhausted to think about cooking or eating at the table (especially when I was in school three nights a week). Besides, seeing as though we live in about 20 square feet (NYC living!), our dining table is usually covered with mail, books, bags, gloves, scarves…you get the point. However, once in a while (usually after our cleaning lady came), we would actually sit and enjoy dinner at the table.

Much to Eric’s surprise, for the first time EVER we actually ate breakfast at our table. Normally, weekend breakfast is usually brunch out with friends, or a free for all with whatever is in the refrigerator (yogurt, eggs, leftovers, etc.) – but again, breakfast is definitely on the couch. Yesterday, Eric didn’t know what to do with himself.


Poached eggs with fresh spinach on sprouted whole grain toast with Niman Ranch applewood smoked bacon and fresh cantaloupe. Now most people will probably think of eggs Florentine and wonder why I didn’t cook the spinach and serve it with hollandaise; however, I tend to prefer the texture and flavor of raw spinach (and do I even need to say anything about a sauce made from egg yolks and butter?). The warmth of the toasted bread (with just a tiny smear of butter) and the poached egg gently wilted the spinach but still kept it bright and tender. Bacon kept the meal hearty and cantaloupe made me feel slightly less guilty about the bacon. All in all, the perfect Sunday morning breakfast.

2 comments:

Amy said...

you know what is also really good to do with raw spinach? Toss it in a simple Dijon vinaigrette (Dijon mustard, champagne vinegar, pinch of sugar).Spinach is yummy.

Kulow Adventures said...

I tried this last night (finally) -OMG amazing. I didn't have champagne vinegar, but rice wine vinegar made for a punchy substitute. And since I'm trying to cut down on refined sugar, I used a dash of maple syrup instead and ended up with a maple-dijon delight that made even yucky-to-me raw tomatoes taste d'lish!